DR. TARIG EL GAMRI
Soil and Water Department
Environment, Natural Resources and Desertification
Research Institute, The National Centre for Research
Dr. Tarig is currently an Associate Professor at the National Centre for Research, Sudan.Dr. Tarigis basically a graduate of the Faculty of Agriculture, University of Khartoum.He was awardedM.Sc. in 1998 (Title of the thesis Development and Evaluation of Low-Cost Building Materials for Canal Lining). In 2005, he was awarded his PhD (Title of the Thesis: Rainfall Prediction and its' Impacts on Water Resources Management in Dry and Semidry Sudan).Besides, Dr. Tarig received a practical training from Sudan, the Netherlands, Sweden, South Africa, Egypt, Kenya, Uganda, Bahrain, Lebanon, Morocco, Thailand and India. The training covered various topics of: Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Water Harvesting, Climate Change, IWRM, Adaptation Metrics and others.
Dr. Tarig joined the national Centre for Research in 1993 and promoted to Assistant Research Professor and an Associate Professor in 2004 and 2009, respectively. In addition to that he has got a Prima Facie the status of Full Professor since 2004. Currently, he is engaged in research projects in the areas of improvement of water productivity in the irrigation sector in Sudan and determination of optimum water harvesting sites using hydrological modeling and RS/GIS. Besides, he contributes to the preparation and execution of training sessions for technicians, university students and graduates. He also contributed to the foundation of the Water Resources Department of the Desertification Research Institute. Dr. Tarig also coordinated the M.Sc. IWRM Course at the Sudan Academy of Sciences during the period 2007 – 2015. His major responsibilities included supervision of student admission, development of the academic calendar (lectures and practicals), organization of field trips, management of the financial aspects of the course and compilation of exam results and submission to examiner’s and Senate meetings.He also supervised about 35 M.Sc. and 10 Ph.D. students at SAS and some other recognized universities in Sudan. In addition, Dr. Tarig contributed to curricula development at the Masters level in the fields of IWRM and Integrated Dryland Management. His other academic contributions include teaching three topics of IWRM Principles and Economics, Watershed Management and Advanced Irrigation and Drainage.
During the period 2014 – 2017,Dr. Tarig was seconded to the Higher Council for Environment and Natural Resources (HCENR) as the National Coordinator, Climate Change Adaptation Project (CCAP) (a Canada funded Project). He was responsible for the field implementation of the project interventions on participatory basis besides the financial management and operational planning of the various project aspects including staff and community training. The overall implementation of the project was terminally evaluated as exceptionally satisfactory.
During the period 2011 to 2018, Dr. Tarig was actively involved with the Global Water Partnership (GWP). At the national level he held the position of the Vice Chair of the Sudan Water Partnership while representing the country at the Regional Steering Committee for GWP Eastern Africa. During the Period 2016 – 2018, he was elected as the Chair of the Technical Committee of the region.Major Responsibilities the Regional Steering Committee included:
- Provideguidance in the technical matters including project documents, progress reports and ToRs for the various consultancies
- Advise and oversee the development and implementation of programmes and activities;
- Steer the technical capacity development;
- Strategic Planning at the Regional level.
Dr. Tarig executed a number ofconsultancies and consultations in Water and Irrigation Management, Adaptation to Climate Change, Climate Resilience, Reactivation of Country Water Partnerships (Sudan), Natural Resources and Environmental Protection, Water and Food Security and SDG Indicator 6.5.1., Development of Community Adaptation Plans and Capacity Building for SDGs Implementation. These consultancies and consultations were executed for the following institutions and organizations: ADRA, GWP Eastern Africa, IGAD, The Higher Council for Environment and Natural Resources, NewTech Consulting Group (Sudan) and UNDESA.
Areas of Expertise: Irrigation, Water Harvesting and Supplementary Irrigation, Rainfall and Hydrological Forecasts, Modern Irrigation Systems, Water and Food Security, Development of Community Adaptation, SDG Indicator 6.5.1.
Selected Publications :
Papers published in refereed scientific journals:
- 2000. El Gamri, T.and A.B. Saeed. Use of Khafgi for Lining Irrigation Canals. U. of K. J. of Agric. Sci. 8 (2), 69-80, 2000.
- 2004. El Gamri, T. and M. H. El Nasikh. Desertification Studies in the Sudan: Annals of Arid Zone. Vol. 42, No. 3, 2003. India.
- 2004. El Gamri, T. Prospects and Constraints of Desert Agriculture: Experience from West Omdurman. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment J. Vol. 99-2004 (57-73). (Special Issue: Alternative Ways to Combat Desertification) Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- 2007 El Gamri, T., Saeed, A.B. and Abdalla, A.K. On the Relation between Rainfall Prediction and the ENSO event. U. of K. J. of Agric. Sci. 15(1), 23-38.
- 2009 El Gamri, T., Saeed, A.B. & Abdalla, A.K. Use of Global Sea Surface Temperatures SSTs in Rainfall Prediction in Dry Sudan. Des.Res.J. Unesco Chair on Desertification, 1(1) 1-14.
- & Abdalla, A.K Rainfall of the Sudan: Characteristics and Prediction. Arts J. 27(18-35) (www.adabjournaluofk.com), Journal of the Faculty of Arts, U. of K.
- 2011 Z.Y. Mohamed, Saeed, A.B. and El Gamri, T. Use of Rain Water Harvesting and Supplementary Irrigation for Forage Production under Dry Land Conditions. SASJ vol.4 No.1, 2011 (47-62), Sudan Academy of Sciences, Sudan.
- Yasuda, H.; Ahmed, M.A.E.M; Yoda, K.; Berndtsson, R., Kawai, T.; Nawata, H., Ibrahim, A.M., Inoue, T.; Tsuji, W.; ElGamri, T. and Saito, T. 2014. Diurnal Fluctuation of Groundwater Levels Caused by the Invasive Alien Mesquite Plant. Arid Land Research and Management. Taylor & Francis.
- 2014 El Gamri, T. Towards Climate Resilience in the Nile Basin: The Case of the Sudan. Arts J. 32(87-114) (www.adabjournaluofk.com), Journal of the Faculty of Arts, U. of K.
- Yasuda, H.; S. N. Panda, Mohamed, A. M. Abd Elbasit, T. Kawai, El Gamri, T.; Fenta. A. A. and H. Nawata. (2018). Teleconnection of rainfall time series in the central Nile Basin with sea surface temperature. Hydrological Sciences Journal, Paddy and Water Environment https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-018-0671-x.
- Abdalla, A.K and El Gamri, T.; Saeed A. B. (2018). On the relation between climate variability and change and the rains of the Sudan. Annals of Arid Zone J., 57(3&4): 111-120, 2018.
- 2019. El Gamri, T. and A.B. Saeed. Adaptation Research and Experience in Sudan. Accepted for publication, Sudan Journal of Desertification Research, Unesco Chair on Desertification (vol. 11)
Books and book Chapters:
- 2010 T. El Gamri, Saeed, A.B. & Abdalla, A.K. On the Relation between Hydrological Forecasts and Water Resources Management. Handbook on Hydroinformatics: Theories, Technologies and Applications (229 – 243). IGI Global, USA.
- 2014 Tarig El Gamri and Sustainable Management of Small Scale Irrigation Projects: A Case Study Of Um Jawaseer Desert Farm Project, Sudan. In Gaur, M.K. and Moharana, P.C. (ed.) Environment People and Development (Experiences from Desert Ecosystems) (pp 211-228). New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India.
- 2017 El Gamri, T. Adaptation at a Glance. Higher Council for Environment and Natural Resources, UNDP and DFATD – Canada.
Assessed Conference Proceedings:
- 2003. El Gamri, T., A.B. Saeed & A.K. Abdalla. Influences of Climate Change in the Rangelands of the Sudan and the Possible Mitigation Measures. Proc. 7th InternationalRange Congress.
- 2008 El Gamri, T., Saeed, A.B. & Abdalla, A.K. Predicting the variable rainfall of dry Sudan. Assessed Proc. the NileBasin Development Forum (pp 405 – 411). 17-19 Nov., Friendship Hall, Khartoum, Sudan.